Ingredients and Methods
Freeze dried Mandarin (available from speciality dry goods stores)
Candied pumpkin seeds
580ml organic fromage frais
5 gelatine, bloomed
85ml lemon juice
- Bring the sugar, glucose, and water to a boil in a heavy based pot.
- Once off the heat, add the gelatine and lemon juice.
- Cool down over an ice bath.
- Once cold, fold through the fromage frais.
- Pass this mixture, and churn in an ice-cream machine until frozen.
- Alternatively, freeze in a Paco Jet canister and spin before using.
300ml mandarin juice, freshly squeezed
2 teaspoons cornflour
3g mandarin zest
2 gelatine leaves, bloomed
4 whole eggs
- Mix the cornflour with mandarin juice, in a large metal bowl, and whisk until dissolved.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except for the butter.
- Place the bowl over gently simmering water, and cook until the mix thickens, stirring constantly.
- Once the mix has thickened slightly, add the gelatine.
- Remove from heat, and slowly whisk in the butter, a little at a time.
- Cool over ice.
- Store in an airtight container.
1 fennel bulb
- Combine the sugar and water in a heavy based saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat.
- Halve the fennel bulb and remove the core with a sharp knife.
- Slice the fennel very finely on a mandolin or meat slicer.
- Lay the fennel out on a plastic tray, (300x400x20).
- Pour the warm sugar syrup over the fennel and leave to cool.
100g pumpkin seeds
20g glucose syrup
- Preheat an oven to 160C.
- Warm the pumpkin seeds in the oven.
- Once the pumpkin seeds are hot, coat in the glucose and return to the oven.
- Bake for 14 minutes, until golden.
- Season with salt.
- Peel the mandarins and separate the segments.
- Using a small knife remove any pith from the segments.
- Dip in iced water to clean and set aside.
Place a tablespoon of mandarin curd in 6 bowls.
Lay 3 or 4 pieces of macerated fennel in each bowl, scatter some candied pumpkin seeds and crush 2 pieces of freeze dried mandarin in each bowl.
When you are ready to serve, finish each plate with one scoop of frozen curd and some fresh mandarin segments.